Secret Bay Dive Site: This mangrove-lined bay in far West Bali has lately become a fashionable site (Secret Bay) for divers interesting in rare, small animals. There is not much coral, it is deep shallow dive, bits of trash, paper, plastic water bottles, and the like, but the fish are unbelievably healthy and the volcanic black-sand bottom can produce some macro-scale treasures.
Descriptions of Bali dive sites
Type of dive: Beach or boat diving (10-15 minutes)
- Visibility: Poor, 5-8 meters
- Water movement: None to 3 knots current
- Marine life: Fish are unbelievably healthy; macro-scale treasures. Secret Bay/Gilimanuk Bay contains many rare macro-photography subjects that include nudibranches, gobies, crustaceans, dragonets, abundant seahorse/pipefish, juvenile Batavia batfish, large areas of long-spined sea urchins with clingfish, and many, many other organisms. At other sites it's difficult to see juveniles as they hide to avoid predators. However, as the bay is shallow there are very few large fish, therefore juveniles have very little to fear, to hide from.
- Diver level: Open water diver or above, a specialty site for photographers, and for divers who are looking for something different
- Access: 3 hours 30 min from main tourist area; Kuta, Legian, Semenjak, Sanur, and Nusa Dua
- Highlights: Rare species and small animals
- Other: Can be cold; considering the conditions here
Secret Bay | Menjangan | Tulamben | Amed
Candi Dasa | Padang Bai | Nusa Penida | Nusa Dua