Nusa Penida Dive Site: Most of the dive spots are around the channel between Nusa Penida, Nusa Ceningan and Nusa Lembongan. The standard reef profile here has a terace at 8-12 meters, then a wall or steep slope to 25-30 meters, then a fairly gentle slope to th seabed at 600 meters. Pinnacles and small cave are often encountered.
At 35-40 meters, long antipatharian wire corals are common, spiraling outward more than 8 meters. Pelagics are the main attraction here, and you have a good chance to see jacks, mackerel and tuna. Reef sharks are so common, mantas are frequently sighted, and perhaps the most unusual palagic visitor to Nusa Penida is the weird mola-mola (sun fish) around Aug-Nov.
Descriptions of Bali dive sites
- Type of dive: Boat diving (45 minutes from Padang Bai and 1 hours from Sanur and Nusa Dua or Benoa harbor, but still depending on the boat power)
- Visibility: Good,15-30 meters (Sparkling clear water and healthy)
- Water movement: Moderate to very strong (4+knot) current, and monster swell
- Marine life: There are good hard and soft coral cover, anemones, and large school of sweetlips, hawksbill turtle, jacks, mackerel, tuna, barracudas, sharks, mantas, mola mola
- Diver level: Experienced diver or advanced diver above
- Access: From main tourist place; Kuta, Legian, Semenjak 20-30 minutes by car to Sanur, Nusa Dua and Benoa harbor or 1 hours 45 min to Padang Bai
- Highlights: Bat cave, molas around August-November, and Pelagics
- Other: Every dive is a drift, can be very cold, currents are unpredictable and often fierce
Secret Bay | Menjangan | Tulamben | Amed
Candi Dasa | Padang Bai | Nusa Penida | Nusa Dua